Heirloom Herb. Rosemary seeds grow into a coarse, upright, bushy plant with pale blue flowers. An incredibly pleasing fragrance is released when the leaves are handled. There is no doubt that rosemary is an important (almost compulsory) component of poultry stuffing but it also goes hand-in-hand with lamb and pork dishes. Plants can grow from 60-90 cm (2-3′) tall. In most locations in Canada, it is recommended to bring rosemary inside to overwinter as temperatures below 8°C (46°F) for more than a day will damage foliage. We have reports from gardeners that rosemary fails to thrive when planted close to members of the potato family (Solanaceae).
Rosemary is a tender perennial hardy to Zone 7 with adequate winter protection. However, a single night with the temperature below -15°C (5°F) is usually fatal.
How to Grow
8400 seed/gram. Start seed indoors in a soil-less medium about 10-12 weeks before your last frost date. Barely cover the seed and keep at 27-30°C (80-85°F) for the 30 day germination period. Applying bottom heat to the growing medium at this time is highly beneficial. After germination, grow on under lights at a slightly cooler temperature – keep the growing medium on the drier side from the time you see the seeds sprout right up to moving them outside. Harden off and move young plants outside to a sunny site after all danger of frost has passed. Plants must be brought inside to overwinter safely in most parts of Canada. When overwintering plants indoors, place them in a bright but cool location (13-18°C) and make a habit of heavily misting the foliage once a day.
- We offer free pickup at our facility 23901 Hwy 12, Sunderland ON L0C1H0 or flat rate shipping of $17.99 on all live plant online orders
- It is $17.99 because it’s 2 day once we ship it and because we want the LIVE PLANTS to get there as fast as possible and more care has to be taken
- At this time we can only offer shipping to Ontario residents
- We take great pride in what we grow, we guarantee that all plants are in good condition at the time of shipping and at the time of delivery
- Plants that are being shipped are done so through Xpresspost TM 2 business days (guaranteed) *Although we try to get your order shipped as quick as possible there may be delays in the process due to external factors such as weather, because of this we ask you allow 1-2 week shipping times
- For your plant’s sake we do not ship after 12:00 pm Wednesdays or over weekends to insure delivery before weekends